It’s time to throw away the Sharpies and paper. Create your practice scripts and play cards online using your Hudl.com account. It will automatically draw up your play cards for you by pulling your saved diagrams from past practice scripts, making the most intelligent use of your information. After creating your practice scripts and play cards, you can print them and take them out to the field with you.
Get started making a practice script by going to your Manage page. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on Practice Scripts.
Manage Practice Scripts
- The main Manage Practice Scripts page will list all of the practice scripts you have created in the past. Click on the green Create New Practice Script button to start a new practice script or click on the Script Name of any past script to continue editing.
- Print directly from the main Manage Practice Script page by clicking on the icon.
- Quickly create a copy of the practice script by clicking on the icon.
- Delete old practice scripts by clicking on the icon.
Add or Edit Plays
- Most Efficient Way to Add Plays:
- Add plays straight from the clips of your opponent scout film in your library.
- Click on the Show Playlists button to select a play that has already been broken down in your library. Select the game and the play that you want added to the script.
- If you would like to preview the play, click on the button.
- Hudl will then automatically transfer the breakdown information and pull from previously saved templates from past practice scripts.
To manually enter a play, click on the red plus sign on the left side of the list. Then, manually enter the column information associated with the play.
- Copy a Play
- Save time by quickly creating a copy of a play on your practice script. Roll your mouse over an existing play and click on the icon. This will be helpful for you if you want to flip the offense and defense on an existing play card or even just tweak the defense a little on a different play.
Change or Reorder your Columns Click on the button in order to change or reorder the columns that are showing in your Practice Script.
As each play is added to the script, a corresponding play card diagram is automatically created in the Play Cards area below. Click on the play card diagram in order to add players, routes, and notes.
There are three editing modes when working on your play cards: Select mode, Add Player mode, and Draw mode.
- Select mode lets you move, delete, and edit a player’s position, color, shade or label.
- Add Player mode will quickly allow you to add players to the field. Players can be represented by circles, squares, or the text of their position. If you add a color to the player’s symbol, the corresponding route lines you draw later will also be that color.
- Draw mode lets you draw routes and blocking assignments on the play card.
Drawing Routes To draw a route on your play card, first select which line to use from the Draw mode. Then, click on the offensive player that the route is for. The following lines are available:
- Straight Line: With a player selected, clicking a point on the field will draw a straight route to that point. To continue an active route, click on another point on field.
- Dashed Line: Hold the Shift Key on your keyboard while drawing a route to make it dashed.
- Free-Hand Line: Click on the player and drag your mouse in the path of the route.
- Blocking Line: With an offensive player selected, double clicking a defender creates a blocking line.
- Zigzag Line: Hold the ALT Key on your keyboard while drawing a route to make it zigzag.
When you are done editing your play card, click the Done button in the top right corner.
Add a Defensive Front
Save time by creating templates for your defensive fronts so you can quickly add them to your play cards. Add a Hudl defensive front template, make the necessary changes to it, and give it a custom name so you can quickly add it to play cards you create in the future.
Print Your Practice Script
Once you are done adding your plays and play cards to the practice script, click the Print button in the top right corner to take your practice script out with you on the field. You have the option to print one, two, four, or eight play cards per page.
There is so much you can do with Hudl Practice Scripts. Take the time to learn the ins and outs of the tool so that you can make the most of this awesome Hudl feature. The more you use the practice scripts and play cards, the smarter they become.
Next ArticleCreate a Magic Script