Football season is looming on the horizon. We know that’s when your time is scarce. We want to help you tackle any issues you might be having with your computer or your Hudl account early, to avoid running into them on game night. This is the first of our Domination Checklist series, meant to get you in an awesome place to start the football season.
First up, computer maintenance—If your machine isn’t running well, nothing is running well. Here’s what we recommend for the best Hudl experience:
Make sure your computer programs are up to date. It is good to check for updates on your computer at least once a month.
- Click Start button, then select All Programs.
- Choose Windows Update and you are on your way to updating all your programs.
- Click the Apple in the corner of your screen.
- Click Software Update.
- Your updates should automatically begin.
Microsoft Security Essentials
When it comes to antivirus software, it doesn’t get much better than Microsoft Security Essentials. Microsoft Security Essentials is a great program that protects your computer against viruses while allowing you to upload, watch and publish video. We recommend it because it:
- Updates automatically
- Doesn’t take up much space on your hard drive
- Is free!
Get Firewall Issues Straightened Out
Firewalls are a common issue that we see, especially when you’re using a school computer. We recommend going through a trial run with your capture tool, and try to publish up to Hudl.com. Use the computer(s) you’ll be using during the season to see if you think you’ll run into any issues. You’ll also want to make sure you’re publishing from your school’s network.
You may need to communicate to your IT staff in order to allow you to upload and watch video. Here’s some information you can give them. We are also happy to talk to them to help get any issues resolved.
Update Your Internet Browser
An updated internet browser can make all the difference when working online both for Hudl and other websites.
If you are using a Windows computer, Google Chrome is the way to go. If you’re using a Mac computer, Safari is your best option.
Download Video Editor, Mercury, Remotes
The last step to make sure your computer is ready to go is getting your capture tool and remote drivers installed.
- Installing and Setting Up Video Editor
- Installing and Getting Started with Hudl Mercury (Windows)
- Installing and Getting Started with Hudl Mercury (Mac)
Want three extra storage hours for free?
- Complete the preseason checklist, then call us when you have half an hour (402.817.0060). We’ll tune up your computer and make sure you’re good to go.
- What’s in it for you? You’ll also get to see some sweet new features we have coming down the pipe, and get to be among the first coaches to try them out. After we get your computer updated, we’ll give you three free storage hours, just for letting us help you.